How to Fix Your Hacked Hotmail Account
Modified on: Tue, 1 Oct, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Change your password if you can still login to your account. If you can access your account through your security questions, then reset your password.
- Set a strong password with a mix of capital and lower-case letters, numbers and symbols.
- Reset your password periodically even when you're not experiencing a problem with your Hotmail account.
Go to the Hotmail home page if you can't access your account through security questions. Click the link that says, "Can't Access Your Account?"
- Choose the third option on the menu that says, "I think someone else is using my Microsoft account."
- Follow the instructions that come up on the screen.
Validate your account if the above fixes don't work. Fill out the "Recover your Microsoft account" form and wait for a technician to respond. You will typically receive a response within 3 business days.
Preventing Future Hotmail Hacks and Restoring Your Account
Make sure that you have turned on Windows Update. Doing this will ensure that you receive all available security patches and upgrades.
Download an anti-virus program that includes automatic updates. If your e-mail account was hacked through spyware, an anti-virus program can help to detect and eliminate spyware from your computer.
Reset your account settings. Microsoft will clear your account settings if you report that your e-mail has been hacked. Reset your account settings under the "Options" menu.
Recover deleted messages. When Microsoft detected a hack on your account, they re-routed your messages to a safe place.
- Click the "Deleted" tab on your left sidebar and scroll down to the bottom of the page.
- Click "Recover Deleted Messages." If Microsoft has message on their server, the messages will be sent to your Deleted folder.
- Never reply to an e-mail that asks for your Hotmail address and password.
- Be careful when accessing your e-mail on a public computer. Be sure that you don't check boxes that say "Remember this computer," and make sure that you close all browser windows when you finish your session.
Things You'll Need
- Strong password
- Answers to security questions
- Windows Update
- Anti-virus program
Did you find it helpful?
Sorry we couldn't be helpful. Help us improve this article with your feedback.